1) Traffic Platform: There are hundreds of viable PPC/PPV networks and thousands of solid direct buy opportunities out there. Don’t just settle on a few, test several out regularly.
2) Offer Selection: If you’re not at the ROI you need to be on a CPL offer, try a CPS – or vice versa. Many offers have alternative landers, try them all. Sometimes, switching to an entirely different offer is the answer.
3) Your Audience: With demographic tools, it’s easier than ever to target specific audiences. If “Men, 18-24, Some College, Single” isn’t working for you, try “Men, 25-34, College Grad, Married”
4) Keyword Research: Whether a paid campaign or SEO, the right keywords are critical. Constantly research your KWs.
5) Keyword Management: Make certain to utilize negative keyword options and expand as necessary. Always be adding new KWs to the mix. Group your keywords – organization is the key to effective management.
6) Keyword Culling: Purge your list of any under-performing keywords on a regular basis.
7) Quality Score: If the traffic platform has a form of quality score, pay close attention and act appropriately – removing the low and scaling the high.
Ad Copy: Each and Every word matters, especially when you have limit space to convey your message. Try to include a feature, benefit and call to action. You should have dozens of variations of each ad to test.
9) Call to Action: Test several CTAs – Buy Now, Buy Now!, Get it Today!, Only 5 Left!, Don’t Delay!, Click Now! etc. etc. –
10) Ad Copy Management: Eliminate low converting ads and scale the best converters – prune your ads continuously.
11) Ad Location: Try placing ads in various areas of a site if the ad buy allows – above fold, run of site, specific pages, footers – experiment with placement.
12) Ad Sizes: A recent case study showed that 250×250 works best for dating, while an old school 468×60 works best for financial offers – conduct your own ad size experiments.
13) Imagery: As you know, people are visual (especially men) – experiment with images; real life/animation, still/animation, gender/age of models, color of button/text, etc. etc.
14) Geo-Targeting: I can’t tell you how important and effective Geo-targeting your campaigns can be – segmenting by location and customizing ad copy to an area is SUPER effective.
15) Landing Pages: I know direct linking is so darn easy – but really, you’re doing yourself a major disservice by not running with your own landers. The ability of being able to change out pre-sale messages can make or break a highly profitable campaign.
16) Managing Your Budget: Obviously, increase the budgets on performing campaigns and decrease/eliminate those that aren’t performing. Make sure your cash flow is adequate to support your campaigns.
17) Bid Management: Keep tweaking your bids, you’ll find that in most cases you can lower your bid amounts after a while and still maintain your traffic volume – on most platforms you are rewarded for optimized campaigns.
18) Only Conversions Matter: Don’t focus on clicks, focus on conversion rates – clicks are meaningless, conversions are cash. Optimize your campaigns for conversions.